The 2026 APCO Atlantic Conference was held in Parsippany, New Jersey this year from September 27th to the 30th. My team and I were going to drive down on Saturday the 28th, but because of the weather, a forecasted rain nor'easter we decided to go down on Friday the 27th to get ahead of the storm.
Friday September 27th
Jessica, Amber, and I headed down in one vehicle while Theresa and her mother went down in another vehicle. We had some thick traffic in Connecticut and New York, that actually dead stopped twice extending the travel time by nearly 90 minutes. After getting to the hotel Amber and I headed out to Wegman's grocery store, I was hoping to find some soda that we don't have back home.
We got sandwiches that they make fresh to order there, and man was mine delicious! I also bought a block of 6 year old aged cheddar! I couldn't resist! My room is nice two double beds, a small couch, and a table with a chair. It's going to be home the next few nights.
Saturday September 26th
Jessica and I headed out to get her some Starbucks, we also hit a couple more grocery stores, Stop and Shop and a Shoprite. No soda, but I did get some Herr's cheese curls, and some candy, including a mixed bag of mini Charleston and chews and a big 400 piece bag of frooties! I've never seen a big mixed bag of them before.
We then headed to the New Jersey Horror Con in Iselin, New Jersey. Betsy Baker and Theresa Tilly from Evil Dead were advertised to be there. After paying to get in I walked all around the floor and couldn't find them. Turns out they cancelled because one was sick, and the con didn't announce it. Just ridiculous as I wouldn't have gone and spent $45 on the admission fee. Jessica had wanted to meet Susan Sarandon, but she had also cancelled after getting arrested at a protest in New York City the day before.
We walked about and checked out all the vendors, they had multiple tattoo artists there and I was tempted to get a tattoo, but didn't. I did buy a couple small things, a pin of the View Askew movies from Brian O'Halloran of Clerks fame and a couple LEGO figures.
We then headed north to Stockholm, New Jersey to The Wrestling Collector store. We stopped at a WAWA on the way to fill up the tank and grab a drink. You can read all about my time at the shop here: The Wrestling Collector Store .
We headed back to the hotel for the evening because I wanted to watch the AEW All Out PPV. I ventured back out to go grab a pizza to enjoy with my wrestling. I tried researching online but nothing stood out so I asked a young lady at the front desk who recommended Tabor Pizzeria which was only a few miles down the road.
She was right, it was DELCIOUS, and the PPV was outstanding!
Sunday September 28th
It rained all day today, and very heavy at times. It rained on and off all day Saturday as well. This afternoon was the first official day of the conference with registration, first time attendee reception, and the general reception.
Cory arrived at the hotel about 830, as he couldn't check into the hotel for several hours he decided to join me for the day. But first we ran Jessica over to Starbucks and to Stop and Shop to get a few things. He stored his stuff in my room and we hit the road.
Our first stop was in Raritan, New Jersey at the Knox-Porter Resolution site.
Even though World War I ended on November 11, 1918 and the The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, the United States rejected the treaty. Senator Philander C. Knox and Representative Stephen G. Porter drafted legislation to declare peace without ratifying the Versailles Treaty.
About 15 minutes down the road we stopped at Kasia Market a Korean grocery store with products from Korea, Japan, China, and all over Asia. Their fresh and hot food looked terrific, my wife would have loved it. Corey and I stocked up on some fun chips and snacks that sounded interesting or looked good. I got Canaan a couple containers of ramen as well.
Next stop was in the unincorporated community of Grovers Mill located in West Windsor Township. On October 30, 1938, Orson Welles put Grovers Mill on the map as it was the landing site of his Martian invasion for his radio drama "War of the World's".
In 1988, on the 50th Anniversary of the broadcast they erected this monument to commemorate the event. Later an Eagle Scout Troop erected signs along a walking trail that leads to the monument talking about the history of the show. The park it's located in was partially flooded from all the rain that they have gotten. Some areas as much as 8 inches of rain fell.
It was lunch time so we stopped at Russ Ayers for a dog, and you can read about that on my Hot Dog blog here: Russ Ayers Hot Dogs, Bordentown, New Jersey
We then attempted to go to the Columbus Flea Market, but it was closed because of an accident that cut power to the area. About quarter of their back parking lot was flooded. This place is HUGE with over 100 outside tables, and a huge inside section as well. Thursday thru Saturday they have an Amish Market as well.
I found a small antique shop down the road called Vintage Venue. They had a lot of great stuff and very reasonable priced as well. I bought a couple items, including this really cool owl shaped glass cup.
With more time to kill until the wrestling show started so we stopped at the Burlington County Prison museum. It was in operation from 1811 to 1965, and when it closed in 1965 it was the oldest operating prison in the United States.
We were there for over an hour and check out all 3 floors. Each cell block was set up as it was during different times to show us what the prison was like over the years. The wardens office and kitchen were also set up.
They had graffiti on the walls that they protected behind plastic to help preserve it. You could also read about everyone that was executed at the prison and all those that escaped and what happened to them. It was well worth the $5!
We got to the venue just at 3pm, doors opened at 330pm, and they started the show promptly at 4pm. This was Cory's first every independent wrestling show and he got a fun one. There was a great mix matches on the show from high flying, to hardcore, to comedy, to technical wrestling.
You can read my blog about the show if you want: Super Havoc Pro Wrestling 9/27/2026
It was a decent ride back to the hotel, even with the rain. Cory if a ham radio enthusiast and he brought a couple radios with him. Throughout the drive he gave me an education on the radios and answered some questions I had, he participated in a couple check ins which was neat.
We got back to the hotel about 830, it was long day but a great day.
Monday September 28th
The first full day of the conference, breakfast was decent and after morning announcements we had a keynote speaker. I thought the speaker's message was good, but I don't think the delivery style was for me.
It's different walking through the vendor room this year because as I am now the Director, I'm the "money guy" and they know it! It took some great classes today, lunch was just okay, and after the afternoon classes we had our first chapter business meeting. I'm being sworn in on the board as an At Large Board Member, Wednesday it's a 1 year appointment.
At 6pm they had a Monday Night Social with a DJ, and a couple food trucks, as well as a cornhole tournament. The food was decent, a brick over pizza place and a hot dog trailer, you can read about it on my Hot Dog blog: Designer Dawgs, New Jersey
The DJ was great and played a solid mix of music. Cory from the ESCB and Rich from Maine EMS teamed up and won the cornhole tournament! They each won a cornhole set, as shown in Melissa Adam's picture below. We are going to transport them back in our vehicle for them as we drove and they flew.
It was a great day of conferencing.
Tuesday September 29th
Day breakfast wasn't a good as day 1, sausage and pancakes. Some really great classes this morning once again, and I attended 1 of Jessica's 4 classes that she is teaching. Today I took my second class from Kris Inman of The Healthy Dispatcher, and I really enjoyed his presentation style. I'm going to look at brining him to the Maine NENA Conference as a keynote speaker.
Lunch was significantly better as we had building your own sandwiches. They also pulled all the vendor drawings during lunch and it was lucky day! First I won a set of Beats wireless headphones, they run for $150 on Amazon.
I also won this VERY cool Lego block style set of a communications center. I really wanted to win this one, it's one of the coolest giveaways I've ever seen from a vendor. I'm going to display it in my office. I wasn't the only winner in our group, Jessica won a 40 inch ROKU TV!
I took a couple classes after lunch and then we had our business meeting for election of officers. At 6pm we headed into the main hall for dinner and the awards ceremony. We took a group photo in front of the 60th Anniversary backdrop, it was ordeal but we got it done!
Maine's winning ways continued at the 50/50 drawing as Melissa Adams brought home that sweet, sweet cash. Dinner was great, my I enjoyed my steak and the vegetables and dessert was very good as well. There was a live band, and what I got to hear was really good. I would have liked to have heard more, but it's been a long day and I wanted to get to my room. I'm glad tomorrow is the last day and we can head home, it's been a fun but long week.
Wednesday September 30th
Last day of the conference is essentially a half day, they have a couple classes in the morning, lunch and the final business meeting with the swearing in of the new board. I am on the 2026 - 2027 board in a Member at Large position that is appointed by the President.
We loaded up the vehicle Tetris style with all of your stuff plus Cory & Rich's cornhole boards and Jessica's TV. The ride home was uneventful with no traffic issues making for a very smooth ride!
Over all it was a fantastic conference, and I look forward to next year in Yarmouth, Mass. Here are a few photos I found of myself from the official photographer that were posted after the conference.
Until Next Time!
.png)


























No comments:
Post a Comment