Tuesday, June 18, 2024

2024 OC Vacation: Shorebirds vs. The Cannon Ballers

Day 2 of our Ocean City 2024 Vacation was Father's Day, June 16th, and I wanted to take in ballgame!  It's always fun to go to live sports, and I enjoy watching baseball live over on television.  Outside of Maine I have been to minor league baseball games for the Lexington Legends (2004) and Las Vegas 51's (2005).  I must say the Legends have the nicest minor league park I have ever seen. 



About a half and hour away from the condo is the single-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, Delmarva Shorebirds who play at the Arthur W. Perdue Stadium and their mascot is a Chicken.  I hit the internet and was surprised to learn that the Perdue Farms, which I know for chicken, started as a table egg manufacture that moved onto chicken and is based in Salisbury, Maryland.



The stadium opened in 1996 and is a pretty basic ballpark with a capacity of 5,200 people with no outfield seating.  It does have a few cool elements including a boardwalk that wraps around the outfield wall so you can stand a watch a game from the outfield if you choose.  When I go to a ballpark I like to take photos from all angles if I can, especially the older ballparks because you never know what you are going to see.







The opposing team this day was the North Carolina based White Sox affiliate Kannapolis Cannon Ballers, whose name on the score board said Cannonball leading Addison to ask if it said Cannibals which from our distance I can see why she thought it said that.  Both teams play in the Carolina League.

At the Flock Shop I got a lapel pin for my pinboard at work and I bought Wesley a hat of his choosing.  Before the game during player warm ups Wesley got a toss up from a Shorebird and he was then asked if he wanted to go on field to play a game between innings.  



In the middle of the 6th he and another boy played a game where they had to throw a stuffed chicken into a net, they won and got hats. 

The Cannon Ballers came to play!  The dominated the game on the field and with chatter from the dugout.  We were sitting on the third base side, that is where I like to sit, right behind the Shorebirds dug out and they were practically silent.

Shorebirds showed elements of playing well but just couldn't put it together, in the end the Cannon Ballers won 6 - 0.  

After the game kids could run the bases, so Wesley took advantage of the opportunity. 



Thanks for reading, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment