Sunday, June 16, 2019

Fort Knox & Fort Point Light

Last Sunday, June 9th, I had the weekend off and seeing as how I was ordered day shift on Father's Day and I don't have the big kids that day anyhow, I wanted to do something with the family.  Initially I wanted to go to Mooyah and Fun Spot in New Hampshire but with the weather slated to be gorgeous I called an audible.

We hit the road by 9am and had a really nice drive to Belfast.  We stopped so Kate could get a coffee at Bell the Cat, she also grabbed me quite a delicious molasses cookie.  We made it to Fort Knox not too long after that.  It had been a couple years since our last visit.



It was such a gorgeous day with clear skies, a nice breeze and temps in the low 70's.  Inside the lower levels of the Fort it was significantly cooler.  We made sure to bring flashlights for all, Wesley really loved the fact that he had a real reason to use a flashlight.








The kids really enjoyed exploring the dark chambers, the canons, and all the levels of the Fort.  We saw everything that we needed to see in about an hour and a half so we made our way out.  I got some really good pictures.  Addison even took a very nice one of Wesley and I looking down the barrel of a canon.


We went over to Bucksport for lunch, picking up McDonald's for the little's and then going to Crosby's Drive In for Canaan, Kate, and I.  Crosby's has been on Route 46 in Bucksport since 1938!  I just learned about them for the first time that I can remember a few months ago.


 It's a walk up place with picnic tables outside.  We all got burgers with Canaan and Katie getting the homemade onion rings and I got the hand cut shoe string fries.  Both were great, but the fries were amazing!



Our next stop was at Fort Point State Park and Fort Point Lighthouse in Stockton Springs.  The kids enjoyed walking the grounds which was also the location of Fort Pownall during the French and Indian War.





Our last two stops of the day were in Searsport checking out a couple flea markets.  I didn't have any luck finding something that I wanted but Addison, Kate, & Wesley did.  Wesley also wanted me to take his picture in this chair.


We had a wicked fun day and had picture perfect weather for it too.  I look forward to more fun day trips this summer.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment