Monday, July 14, 2014

The Music of the Night

For my birthday my buddy John bought me a Bubba thermo mug.  This mug is nothing short of spectacular!  It is double lined to prevent sweating, except on those excessively hot and humid days, holds 32 ounces of water and it keeps it ice cold for hours, which is exactly how I like my water.  In the past my water would get warm after a bit and I wouldn’t drink it because I don’t like warm or even mild water.  In the week that I’ve had it I have increased my water intake while at the same time decreasing my soda intake.  I have drunk 3 – 4 mugs a day!

Kate and I went and saw Phantom of the Opera in Boston at the Boston Opera House on June 27th which coincided with our 1 year wedding anniversary!  On the drive down we stopped at Chik-Fil-A at the North Shore Mall Food Court in Peabody for our Anniversary dinner.  Kate was super excited!  It’s where she wanted to go, sincerely!


 We got parked literally just around the corner from the Opera House at a surprisingly reasonable $16 for the night.  We had a bit of time to kill so we check out the area hitting the outskirts of Chinatown and ended at the Central Burying Ground in the Boston Common.  We enjoyed the weather and the shade of the trees at the fencing surrounding the cemetery.  It was here that a squirrel scared Kate by approaching a bit too close for her comfort before jumping into cemetery bringing momentary relief to our heroine.  Cleverly though, the squirrel came up from behind and was about to pounce when Kate moved away to safety.  A recent video of a squirrel attacking a child was fresh in her mind and she didn’t want to risk experiencing that for herself!



On the walk back Kate noticed the strap on her shoe looked worn and could possible break, two steps later it did.  I scurried back to the parking garage to get her other shoes because yes she brought 3 sets of footwear with her.  Boston has the weird public trash receptacles that function similar to the blue mail boxes, still though she managed to throw her shoes away in it! 


The show started at 8pm and we made it to our seats in plenty of time, I even picked up my souvenir magnet before the show began.  The best seating section in the opera house is the dress circle.  The seats to the far left and far right are reduced because they are considered limited view.  After research I discovered that the limited view is very limited indeed as you only cannot see what is happening on the very far left or very far right of the stage depending on the side you are sitting on.  I was assured by others online that these seats were wonderful and worth getting.  I was hesitant but took the chance, you see I have wanted to go and see Phantom of the Opera again ever since I saw it the first time at the Wang Theatre in July 17, 1994 with mom and Gram-Gram.  I’ve built this show up in my mind, to the point that it quite possible might not live up to the hype that I have created for myself. 


I can honestly say that the performance far exceeded any hype that I had built, and we literally missed nothing on the stage!  We both agreed that the show was phenomenal and it just blew us away!  The sets were amazing, the singing was fantastic, the entire package of the show was just outstanding!  Here’s the thing about out seats, they were $45, while the seat next to Kate, just 18 inches over, was $145!  Let me tell you, their view was not $100 better than ours!

We got stuck in traffic on the Tobin Bridge taking 45 minutes to go 2 miles and getting a bit of Carbon Monoxide poisoning when we were trapped in the tunnel leading to the bridge. 

We stopped at Sonic for a cream slush and midnight snack before heading making our way home. 

It was fantastic night making our first anniversary quite memorable.

Later readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment